2018 Bitch Media Fellowship for Writers
17 Aug 2017
Bitch Media is pleased to offer the Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program is directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Sexual politics
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length.
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Application Guidelines (to be submitted through Submittable):
- Read the FAQ's. But seriously, please be sure to read the FAQ’s before filling out the rest of this application.
- A cover letter of no more than 600 words that describes your interest in the fellowship area of your choice.• What are the topics you’re passionate about?
• What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
• What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
A CV (no more than 2 pages) that includes a list of any previous publications, if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you
Who should apply?
This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, we strongly encourage you to apply.
This is not a full-time position, but an independent fellowship designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism. Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not required to be a fellow. Writers who have contributed to Bitch before will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Bitch Media is an independent 501(c)3 organization and an equal-opportunity employer. We seek a variety of perspectives and encourage applications from qualified writers of any age, race, color, gender, religion, ancestry, disability, marital status, and sexual orientation. We hope that our fellows will be able to find a community among their co-fellows and the staff of Bitch Media.
My Writers Bureau.
MY WRITERS BUREAU ARTICLE WRITING TRAINING:
Hey there friend! I’m Julius, the founder of My Writers Bureau and I’m so thrilled you landed on this page. Have you ever wanted to write professionally? Perhaps, as a part time freelance writer, you’d like to make some extra income from writing articles, having that mighty feeling from seeing your name in a publication and at the same time expand knowledge and open up your mind.
If that is what you are looking for, regardless that you’re a beginner or a slightly experienced writer, this is the place to start. With personal coaching, I’ll teach you everything you need to know. No special background or academic record needed. CLICK HERE TO ENROLL TO THE TRAINING 🤓
Latest posts by Julius Peter Kessy (see all)
- Interview with Denis Meshack, Winner of 2017 Engineering Essay Competition - December 12, 2017
- My Writers Bureau September Read: The Alchemist By Paulo Coelho - September 21, 2017
- 2017 Akili Dada Essay Contest - September 19, 2017
MORE FROM MY WRITERS BUREAU