Tana Forum Universities’ 2017 Essay Competition on “Natural Resource Governance in Africa”
21 Nov 2016
Africa is the arena for some of modern world’s intractable security challenges. Eighty years ago, when powerful nations breached multilateral decision-making and international law, Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia stood before the League of Nations and declared the imminent catastrophe facing the world, should the principles of common security be abandoned. Since then, Africa has not only been the testing ground of international peace and security, but its governments and institutions have been the champion and custodian of common security.
- Are you, an African youth concerned about peace and security on the continent?
- Do you believe your future is, in any way, affected by current peace and security challenges on the African continent?
- Would you want your voice to be heard on this issue?
- Do you have a passion for writing?
Then, you should participate in the second edition of the ‘Tana Forum University Essay Competition’, organised by the Tana Forum Secretariat based at the Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS), Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
The Tana Forum 2017 theme, “Natural Resource Governance in Africa” is intended to stimulate a debate on the reasons why Africa’s security challenges are attracting substantial global attention whereas the continent’s own experience and articulation of its issues has yet to obtain commensurate global recognition, acceptance and significance. It is evident today – more than any time in the past – that Africa needs to rally a unified and amplified voice and agency if it is to assert its own interests in international security debates and agendas. The 2017 Tana Forum Essay Competition forms part of this consultative debate that is envisioned to contribute to policy building and development.
The authors of the top three essays will be flown to the host city of the 2017 Tana High Level Forum, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia (April 22-23), during which the best writer will be invited to make an oral presentation of her/his essay to all the participants at the Forum including African Heads of States and other African dignitaries and officials from international organisations.
All African Universities.
- Applicants must be an African residing in an African country;
- Applicants must be Master’s or PhD students from the Social Science/Humanities/Political Science/ International Relations field in one of the under-listed universities.
- Click here more information including submission guidelines and due dates.
My Writers Bureau.
Latest posts by Julius Kessy (see all)
- My Writers Bureau September Read: The Alchemist By Paulo Coelho - September 21, 2017
- 2017 Akili Dada Essay Contest - September 19, 2017
- 2017 New Media Writing Prize - September 19, 2017
MORE FROM MY WRITERS BUREAU