SEALOEarth Global Essay Contest 2017
12 Oct 2016
- (Simple description for very young writers) “When we welcome new human life into the world, we welcome our babies into the company of other creatures. We paint animals on the walls. We don’t paint cell phones. We don’t paint work cubicles. We paint animals to show them that we are not alone, we have company. And every one of those animals in every painting of Noah’s Ark deemed worthy of salvation is in mortal danger now and their flood is us. Do they love us? Are humans capable of using what we have to care enough to simply let other animals continue?” – Carl Safina
- “What’s going on inside the brains of animals? Can we know what, or if, they’re thinking and feeling? Carl Safina thinks we can. Using discoveries and anecdotes that span ecology, biology and behavioral science, he weaves together stories of whales, wolves, elephants and albatrosses to argue that just as we think, feel, use tools and express emotions, so too do the other creatures – and minds – that share the Earth with us.”
- Focus on the unique abilities of animals and their similarities with humans.
- The future of our planet Earth is not negotiable. How can people in our communities help to take care of our Earth? Let us leave our planet better than we found it.
“Do humans have enough – consciousness, intelligence, rationality, creativity, empathy, love – to let life on Earth survive?”
Essay contest is a fantastic way of expressing the creativity in an individual. The imagination of young minds about the planet Earth is a window into the future. The objective is to educate about the complex, intricate and fragile interdependence of life as revealed by the global ecological problems around the world and to act individually by finding simple solutions inspiring the neighbors and communities we live in.
A world in which all people participate in the stewardship of planet Earth.
- Our mission is to heighten awareness of the responsibility of all people to manage global resources in a sustainable way, regardless of an individual’s country of origin, cultural background, spoken language or religion.
- We share the resources of the Earth with other living things that rely on us to preserve these resources. When we care for the world’s land, water and air in responsible ways, we take steps to preserving our beautiful planet.
- SEALOEarth.org is a 501c3 non-profit organization. Gifts in support of our mission are fully tax deductible.
- The essay contest is open to writers around the world in three categories: Youth (ages 9-12), Juniors (ages 13-17), Seniors (ages 18-25), and Noncompetitive (26 and above).
- All entries must be original, unpublished, and written specifically for this contest.
- Single author and single entry per person will only be allowed.
- The essay must have a title.
- The essay content must be completely in English.
- The essay must be in text format (for cut and paste).
- The essay must not contain any personal information, tables, and diagrams.
- The essay must mention at least one of the required links provided in the resources.
- The essay must have MLA Citation Style
- The total word count of the essay including the bibliography must be between 1000-1800 words.
- All contestants must register and submit essay online, in one step.
- Entries without all required information will not be considered.
- Proof of age and a photograph must be promptly submitted when requested.
- Selected essays will be published by SEALOEarth.
Entries will be disqualified if:
- The essay exceeds the word count.
- The essay is shorter than the minimum word count.
- The essay does not address the prompt.
- The essay does not have research citations.
- The essay does not have a title.
- Content – Prompt Focus; Clarity; Coherence; Opening; Body; Closing
- Style – Creativity; Voice; Diction; MLA Citation
- Mechanics – Grammar; Punctuation; Sentences; Spelling
- We are privileged to have an outstanding international panel of judges for the essay contest from the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom.
- The judges decision is final.
- The awards in each category will be announced at the Earth Day Celebration, Saturday, April 22nd, 2017.
- First Prize: $200
- Second Prize: $100
- One first winning entry received by January 1st will receive an additional prize of $25!
- We reserve the right to change the prize amount depending on the funds available.
- We expect outstanding essays from all young minds. Good luck!
For questions and information, please contact via email: info(at)sealoearth.org
You may need the resources for writing in this year’s contest. Find them here
My Writers Bureau.
Note that; If you publish this contest on your website, please provide the link to it.
Latest posts by Julius Kessy (see all)
- 5 Actionable Ways to Become a Better Blogger - March 17, 2018
- 5 Steps to Create a Kick-Ass LinkedIn Profile That Lands You Clients - March 15, 2018
- Data Entry-A Simple Way to Work and Make Money Online - March 13, 2018