NewBbay’s Science Fiction Contest
11 Aug 2016
This contest features a $5,000.00 prize pool, which will be split amongst winning entries as follows:
1st Place: $2,400.00
2nd Place: $1,200.00
3rd Place: $600.00
4th Place: $500.00
5th Place: $300.00
Monday, August 15, 2016
- All entries must be the original work(s) of the submitting author(s). Violation of this rule will result in disqualification.
- Translations of other works are ineligible for this contest. Translations of your own unpublished work is eligible, provided it meets other contest requirements.
- Pieces submitted to the contest must not have been self-published nor published in any medium (print, online, blog, broadcast, etc.).
- Submitted work may not have won nor been placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd, honorable mention, etc.) in any other contests.
- Simultaneous submissions to other contests are allowed. If a story is shortlisted, longlisted, awarded, or otherwise acknowledged in another competition, the submitting author must notify us immediately. Should the story be awarded, placed, or published elsewhere, it will become ineligible for NewBbay’s contest.
- Stories authored by collaborating writers are eligible, provided the written consent of all co-authors. Prize amounts will remain the same, and the co-authors will be left to divide their winnings. Similarly, NewBbay will retain the same percentage of ownership for any winning pieces, with the remainder split between co-authors, at the co-authors’ discretion.
- Submitting authors may withdraw their entries by emailing us at [email protected], and requesting their book be removed from the website and competition.
- Members of the judging and selection panel are ineligible to submit pieces to this contest.
- NewBbay’s Science Fiction Contest is open to all eligible writers submitting original works of 1,000 words or greater. We suggest a range of 1,000 to 30,000 words per piece, total.
- Each writer may submit up to two pieces.
- International entries are welcome, though submitted pieces must be in English.
- Writers must sign up at NewBbay.com, submit a “Writer Petition”, and post their work through our publication platform.
- Writers must include the word count and appropriate contest tag (#SciFiContest) in the description. Physical manuscripts and email attachments will not be accepted.
- Submissions are due by 23:59:59 PST (Pacific Standard Time) on the 15th of August, 2016. We ask that no changes be made to contest entries after this time, until after winners have been announced.
- Late entries will not be accepted. Deadline extensions will be noted on the website, should they occur.
- Entries should be submitted in font size 12, black, double spaced.
- Submissions must be a minimum of 1,000 words, not including the title.
- Entries may not include the name, address, author pseudonym, or any identifying marks, save for the title. Entries are to be judged blind, and inclusion of this information in the manuscript is grounds for disqualification.
- Winners will be notified of their award via email and mailed a check for the prize money to the address provided.
- If the author of a selected piece is non-responsive or found to be ineligible, NewBbay.com reserves the right to select an alternate winner.
Latest posts by Julius Kessy (see all)
- My Writers Bureau September Read: The Alchemist By Paulo Coelho - September 21, 2017
- 2017 Akili Dada Essay Contest - September 19, 2017
- 2017 New Media Writing Prize - September 19, 2017
MORE FROM MY WRITERS BUREAU